Wednesday, July 24, 2019

For the love of Dogs

Dogs. Furry, little four-legged friends who bark when we come home, wag their tails, lick, slobber, destroy things, make messes, and love their owners with their whole hearts. None of what they do to destroy our property is done out of anger or spite. Boredom maybe. Dogs are forgiving animals. They look forward to seeing their humans everyday.
As I sit here working on school work for the next school year, I have my sweet tea-cup poodle, Lilly, laying in my lap, while my guy Axel lays on the floor next to me. I can't help in relish in their little grunts, their licks, their sweet wagging tails, and the fact that I am their human. They love me. I have taken them into my home since they were puppies...for Axel that's 5 years and for Lilly that's 6 years. A lifetime of love, treats, a warm bed to sleep in, and plenty of snuggles. They've never had to worry about where their next meal was coming from, or whether they will have somewhere to sleep, or even if they'll have a warm lap to sit on. They are loved.
This may all sound foolish to you if you aren't a dog lover. In fact, I was not a dog lover until 6 years ago when I adopted Lilly. I was in college, and I wanted to try out something new. I saw this sweet, palm of your hand-sized puppy on facebook, and I just had to go meet her. My heart melted at first sight. As I picked up this 3-week old baby poodle, and she nibbled my chin and made her little sounds, I was in love. I put a deposit down to have her as my own, gave her her name, and 3 weeks later she was mine to bring home. I never turned back. I was smitten. I was a dog lover.
Then a year later, a friend of mine brought this tiny little white bundle of pure sweetness to my home. Within seconds my heart melted again for another dog. His sweet tear stains, his little whimpers, and his compassionate eyes brought me in, and I was his human.
I am a dog lover.
So as I sit here relishing in my love for my sweet fur-babies I can't help but have a sense of dread that in less than 3 weeks I will be back at work all day, and these babies who have had 9 weeks of cuddle time will have to go back to staying in a crate all day. They know I'll come home. They know they'll be free eventually. They never hold it against me. But wouldn't our work space be so much happier if we could bring our fur friends with us??
I just had to write this post because I'm so in love with my sweet pups. They make my heart happy. At the end of the day when I feel like all I have is me and God--I remember I have these 4-legged children of mine who adore me no matter what. They make life grand :)




No comments:

Post a Comment